Expert advice for assembling cabinet and upholstered furniture by local handyman services.
1. The main collector tool
• 2 screwdrivers (with slot PZ2 and flat), hammer, square, level, construction (office) knife
• cordless drill — screwdriver with bits, hammer drill (when mounted to the wall)
2. Using instructions and drawing
When assembling Ikea furniture, step by step follow the instructions of the completely understandable instructions. Do not deviate from the assembly order, if it is violated, difficulties and inconveniences often arise at the next stages.
Non-Ikea furniture usually includes a general drawing — a diagram. This is a much more “puzzle” task for the collector. Do not waste time on a detailed analysis of the entire structure, collect the pieces of furniture that you understand, the not installed fittings are reduced and it becomes easier to understand the structure as a whole.
3. Efforts when installing fasteners.
These efforts are different, we will describe for the main fasteners.
• The post of the eccentric coupler (or minifix) should not be overtightened, they are screwed to the end, but without pressing into the furniture panels, this is a small effort! But the counterpart, the eccentric, is tightened with maximum effort.
• Screws — the conformates are screwed in with medium force; when tightened correctly, the conformal head should not protrude above the surface of the material and should not be deepened “into the hole”.
Almost all furniture fastener parts use a screwdriver / bit with a PZ2 slot, with the right screwdriver it is much easier to assemble furniture!
4. Furniture alignment.
Correct installation of the structure on the floor and in relation to the wall will greatly facilitate assembly.
Errors when assembling the cabinet Modern furniture when assembled is slightly deformed when external force is applied. This stress can be caused both by unevenness, for example, of the floor or wall, and by a skew created by the assembler himself, it is difficult, and sometimes impossible to eliminate without re-disassembly — assembly. Do this:
• Place the cabinet supports on a leveled base, check the floor level and, if there are differences in the furniture supports, place appropriate pads
• Nail the back wall after checking the squareness of the side and bottom / top walls with a corner. Only on a flat frame can the facades be correctly installed and adjusted.
• The final adjustment with the legs is done manually to feel the force, it should be small and even in all cases
5. Connecting the enclosures to each other:
• Get a clamp, it costs little, but it also makes it easier and smoother to fasten the housings, holding them in the required position when connecting. Such a tool will be useful later in the household.
• For connection, use unused factory shelf openings, they are ideally located relative to each other in the fastened walls. Immediately drill opposite holes with a 5 mm drill, lean the cases with holes against each other, secure with ties.
6. Wall mounting.
This is, in most cases, a necessary part of the assembly of cabinets, since the fastening provides both the rigidity of the furniture and allows additional alignment. If the furniture is on the floor, then the material from which the wall is made does not have a decisive importance, the supporting fastening can even be made to drywall. Do the fastening manually with low — medium effort, trying to prevent the dowel from turning, controlling the level of correct installation.
7. Fastening to different types of walls.
Walls made of concrete, solid brick, wood are reliable for fastening heavy hanging furniture. Walls made of plasterboard, lining, hollow bricks, as a rule, need to be strengthened, sheathed with plywood. Fastening to gas, foam concrete requires a preliminary analysis of the quality of the material, as these materials sometimes behave like wood when screwing in screws, but can also have a very loose structure. It is necessary to analyze the properties of the wall material and choose the type of dowels and screws, the need for reinforcing plywood sheathing. It is impossible to give an unambiguous recommendation for all cases.
8. Features of installation of cabinets of the PAX line (made by IKEA).
These cabinets have 2 front feet, adjustable with a screwdriver through a hole in the bottom of the cabinet. Initially, level the legs so that they do not touch the floor when moving the cabinet. The legs will definitely fail if you move the cabinet on them. Adjustment — Raise the legs only after the final installation in place.
9. Assembling the kitchen.
Correct kitchen assembly requires taking into account many design features of furniture assembly, room features, communications, requires a variety of professional tools, professional skills, understanding and vision of all this as a single assembly system. Therefore, we advise you not to assemble the kitchen yourself.
If you need professional help please contact us.